Sunday, April 7, 2013

My family tree

Combining my two passions, patchwork and genealogy, I decided to honour the women in my life.
In researching my family it was astonishing to see that so very little is recorded about the women in our past. Some bore many children under difficult circumstances and worked tirelessly without complaint. I have researched several generations back but have only included ancestors whose photographs I have.  I transferred the photographs to fabric and made a crazy patch leaf for each lady. I embroidered her name and dates on the branch of the tree.
I have included a special aunt who worked on the research with me, of course my wonderful daughter and my two granddaughters, my brothers granddaughters (as little flowers)  I completed the project in 2000 and called it Grandmother's Garden.
A tribute to the women of my past, Love to the women in my present, Blessing to the wormen in my future. The invisible thread that binds us shapes our lives down the years.


3 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet way to remember the women of your family. I love the little flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill,
      I made this some years ago, so the 'little flowers' are blooming now! Real young ladies. 16,15,13 & 11. Wonderful to watch them develop.
      Appreciate your comments.
      much love Fay

      Delete
  2. This is a gorgeous way to remember your women ancestors. The words are beautiful, and I love the crazy patch frames for their portraits.

    ReplyDelete